Canadian-based online publishing platform Wattpad suffered a data breach exposing details for nearly 270 million users.
Information Security news site BleepingComputer received a tip and had been tracking the rumoured sale of the stolen database since July 7. The data was then later offered for free on a hacker forum.
In a statement issued this week by Wattpad, they note the breached data include:
- Email address
- Date of birth and gender (if provided)
- IP address upon sign up, if signed up before 2017
- Profile display name
- Account name and salted and cryptographically hashed passwords
- Responses provided to surveys distributed in 2015 or earlier
- List of Paid Stories and chapter titles purchased by a user
- Any third-party account IDs, such as Google or Facebook.
— BleepingComputer (@BleepinComputer) July 14, 2020